BASAS Book Prize 2023
The British Association of South Asian Studies is pleased to announce the BASAS Book Prize 2023. BASAS aims to support advanced research in the Humanities and Social Sciences of South Asia. The BASAS Book Prize fulfils this aim by encouraging and recognising outstanding and bold scholarship on the region of South Asia.
Books nominated may address any issue in the Humanities and Social Sciences of the South Asian region and peoples, including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives, and the South Asian diaspora.
The opportunity to submit the book for a Book Forum feature in one of the two academic journals associated with BASAS, Contemporary South Asia and South Asian Studies.
Guidelines for nomination
Books considered for the BASAS Book Prize will be:
- Single or jointly authored.
- The first published research monograph by the author(s).
- A published book with an ISBN number (a PhD printed or otherwise made publicly available by a University or other institution will not be considered).
- In English.
- A book that addresses the core commitment of BASAS to support advanced research in the humanities and/or social sciences of South Asia and its diasporas.
- Books wishing to be considered for the 2023 prize should have a first edition 2021 date imprint.
- Books which may have been published in earlier years, but which have been translated and published in English with a 2021 imprint will be considered for the prize.
The author or nominator should arrange for 2 copies of the book to be sent by the publisher to the following address, to arrive before the closing date of 30 June 2022.
BASAS Book Prize
c/o Dr Anindita Ghosh
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
Samuel Alexander Building
University of Manchester
Contact number: 0204 5420149
Note that books will not be considered if they are received after this date.
Please contact us if you have any queries about the BASAS Book Prize: email@example.com
Please make the subject line: BASAS Book Prize
BASAS Book Prize Judging Committee
Members of the BASAS Book Prize Judging Committee will be announced on the BASAS website on or after the 30 June 2022.
Judges will consider…
- The extent to which the book makes an original and/or challenging contribution to the study of South Asia, and its contribution to knowledge in relevant disciplinary fields.
- The level of rigour and innovation within the research methods used.
- The richness of the book’s empirical data.
- The clarity of the book’s narrative and argument.
The winner of the BASAS Book Prize will be announced at the BASAS annual conference 2023.